Exterior steel doors are a staple of many homes and businesses because of their durability, strength, and affordability. Your exterior steel doors are the first thing visitors see and are critical to your home’s security. You want to keep them in good condition so they last longer and retain their beauty. Exterior steel doors can last for more than 30 years if properly maintained.
Steel doors, on the other hand, can rust if not properly maintained. Outdoor moisture, humidity, oxygen, and carbon monoxide can corrode steel doors by causing rust to form. Furthermore, if you have wooden edges, you are vulnerable to wood rot, which accelerates the rusting of metal doors. Rusting can damage the door, making it unsightly and, in some cases, dangerous. Fortunately, there are a few simple steps you can take to keep your steel doors from rusting and in good condition.
- Clean on a regular basis: Keeping exterior steel doors clean is one of the most effective ways to keep them from rusting. Rust can be prevented by wiping the surface of the door with a damp cloth on a regular basis. Make a point of doing this at least once a month, and pay special attention to areas prone to moisture, such as near door handles.
- Apply a Protective Coating: Applying a protective coating is another way to keep exterior steel doors from rusting. This can help to keep moisture out and add an extra layer of protection against rust. There are numerous coatings available, so select one that is specifically designed for steel doors.
- Check for Leaks: Because moisture is a major cause of rusting, it’s critical to look for any leaks near the door. This can include cracks in the frame, gaps in the door seal, or any other areas where water can enter. Taking care of any of these issues can help keep rust at bay.
- Examine the Weather Stripping: Because the weather stripping around the door is intended to keep moisture and air out, it is important to inspect it on a regular basis for signs of wear and tear. If the stripping is damaged, it’s best to replace it to keep your door from rusting.
- Select a High-Quality Finish: When selecting a finish for your exterior steel door, choose one that is weather-resistant. A high-quality finish will help to keep moisture and rust at bay.
- Recoat Steel Doors on a Regular Basis: Steel doors should be repainted every few years to keep them looking good and to protect them from rust. When repainting steel doors, use steel door paint and apply several coats for the best protection.
You can help keep your exterior steel doors rust-free for years to come by following these simple tips. Regular cleaning and maintenance are essential, as are selecting a high-quality finish and repainting on a regular basis. Checking for leaks and replacing weather stripping can also help keep moisture out and rusting at bay. With a little effort, you can ensure that your steel doors will last for many years.
These tips can assist you in preventing exterior steel doors from rusting, allowing your investment in your home or business to go further while still looking elegant, luxurious, and clean.